By 1702 the population of Kingston was about 5000 concentrated in the southern half of the town. Between 1702 and 1750 the lots increased from 809 to 1422. Only 467 lots had buildings on them even though the population doubled. Only 45 buildings were located to the north of parade. 40 % of houses were bound by Church Street, Harbour Street, Orange Street and Parade. The end of the lots facing the lanes were covered with huts & rude houses. Clarke (1975) p. 11.